The dean of the Graduate School appoints the departmental graduate coordinator upon recommendation and approval by the department head and the academic dean of that unit. The graduate coordinator is an appointed member of the Graduate Faculty and serves as the liaison between the department and the Graduate School with delegated authority of the department head. It is the responsibility of the graduate coordinator to implement all policies and procedures of the Graduate Council pertaining to graduate education at The University of Georgia. Furthermore, the graduate coordinator works in conjunction with the graduate faculty of the department to ensure that policies and procedures unique to the department are followed.
The Graduate Coordinator's Handbook is provided as a supplement to the Graduate School Bulletin and is to be used in the interpretation of the procedures and policies approved and established by the Graduate Council. It should be emphasized that this handbook is not intended to duplicate material provided in other published documents. Graduate coordinators should continue to refer to the Graduate School Bulletin for all policy and procedural matters.
Procedure for Nominating a Graduate Coordinator
- Department head writes a letter addressed to the Dean of the Graduate School requesting the appointment or replacement of a graduate coordinator. The letter will include the faculty memberís name and the starting date of appointment with some background on the individualís qualifications for the position.
- This letter must include the following contact information about the incoming Graduate Coordinator:
- Coordinatorís name as it should appear on the Graduate School Web site
- Telephone number as it should appear on the website
- Telephone number for internal use by Graduate School staff (if different from previous number)
- E-mail address for all e-mail correspondence
Template for Departmental Assistantship Offer Letter
The Graduate School provides the template for all departments to use when offering a graduate assistantship to a prospective or current student. This letter has been reviewed and approved by the Office of Legal Affairs. Please contact the Graduate School Business Office for additional information.