pdf995 is a free software package that can make PDF files for you at the reasonably low price of free + advertising. You can get rid of the advertising by paying the company $9.95. One of the company's software packages (pdfEdit995) makes it easy to turn multi-file documents into a single PDF. This is a major improvement over the complications of using GhostScript to put together multi-file documents.
If you want to convert only single-part/file documents, and you don't want to deal with the (relatively minor) hassle of downloading and installing GhostScript/GhostView (below), then pdf995 is for you. If you want to convert multi-part/file documents, then you will need pdf995 and pdfEdit995.
Visit the application websiteto obtain pdf995 and pdfEdit995.
Please note that you will need both pdf995 and pdfEdit995 to combine multiple files.
- Print the first wordprocessor document to the pdf995 "printer". Make sure that "print to file" is turned off. You will be asked to asked to save the resulting PDF file;
- Open pdfEdit995, turn on "add new pdf995 print jobs to the last document";
- Print the next wordprocessor document to the pdf995 "printer". Again, you will be asked to save the resulting PDF file. Make sure to give the file a different name from the previously saved file.
- Repeat step 3 with all the rest of the wordprocessor documents (in the order of their appearance in the final file);
- Turn off the "add new..." option in pdfEdit995 (for safety sake, this isn't really necessary to creating your pdf document).
- Once the print process is complete, open and check the last PDF file you created. It should contain all the document parts in it.
(For those of you who are interested: the pdf995 software uses GhostScript to generate PDF files while providing a more user-friendly way of managing the process. If you still want to get under the hood and work directly with GhostScript/GhostView, look below for the links and instructions.)