Submitting Your Thesis/Dissertation
- Use the checklist below to find out what formatting is required in order for your document to be considered eligible for format checking. If your thesis/dissertation does not meet the following requirements prior to the first format check, it will be returned unchecked as an unofficial submission.
- The submitted file must be named according to the following convention:
For example: doe_john_b_201105_phd.pdf
- If you feel you have satisfied all the requirements below, proceed to the format check submission page. You must have a format check done before you can submit your official copy.
- When you have checked and double checked your theses, you may proceed to the ETD Submission Page for submission of your corrected (Format Checked) thesis or dissertation.
It must be complete - do not submit a document with text of any kind missing.
It must be consistent with regard to:
- Margins must be consistent throughout. All top margins for first pages of chapters must be at exactly the same place. All top margins for text pages must be at exactly the same place. All left margins and right margins must be consistent throughout.
- All headings of the same type must be treated the same way. For example, if you put your chapter titles in all caps, they must all be in all caps, if you underline first-level subheadings, they must all be underlined, etc.
- All page numbers must be in the same place on pages of the same type. (See the “Page numbering” section in the Graduate School Style Manual for options.)
There can be no widows or orphans. All headings and subheadings must be followed by at least two lines of text (some widow/orphan protectors do not recognize this type of widow -check it manually). The first line of a paragraph cannot stand alone at the bottom of a page. The last line of a paragraph cannot stand alone at the top of a page.
All entries in the table of contents must match the text according to wording, capitalization, and page numbers.
The submitted file must be a single PDF file. Word, WordPerfect, etc. files are not acceptable.
The submitted file must be named according to the convention described above.
Proceed to the Format Check if you have satisfied the above requirements.